The construction of a building with multiple floors requires the use of scaffolds and scaffolding. While scaffolding hire companies are familiar with these terms, people who are not in the construction business may have little to no idea about scaffolding and scaffolding work. In this regard, a little knowledge about the industry will not hurt and it will also allow them to familiarize the terms used by companies offering scaffolding services in Australia. It will also allow them to know the differences between these terms.
What are Scaffolds?
Scaffolds are temporary structures designed to provide support to access or working platforms. They are normally used in construction sites to give workers a safe and stable platform where they can work. They are used in areas where the work cannot be performed on a finished floor or at ground level. The Work, Health, and Safety (WHS) Act classifies scaffolds as structures. Due to this, rules and regulations associated with structures apply to scaffolds.
What is Scaffolding?
Scaffoldings are individual parts or components that form a scaffold when they are assembled. These parts or components include frames, couplers, tubes, and other materials used in putting together a scaffold. Scaffolding hire services normally provide these components used in setting up the scaffold.
What is Scaffolding Work?
Scaffolding work is the act of erecting, modifying or altering, and dismantling of temporary structures set up to support platforms used by workers in a construction site. These platforms are normally set up at least four meters from the ground. The WHS Regulations classify most of the scaffolding work as high-risk work. It should be performed by persons who hold suitable high-risk work licenses. Companies offering scaffolding services normally have people who hold these types of licenses to allow them to perform scaffolding work in construction sites.
There are several types of scaffolding that are used for different types of construction. Knowledge about these types of scaffolding will make it easier for individuals to choose the scaffolding necessary for structures they are planning to build.
Types of Scaffolding
- Single Scaffolding – Single scaffolding is a basic type of scaffolding used by scaffolding hire companies. They are normally used when the work involves brick masonry. These scaffoldings use putlogs and ledgers that are connected to the wall of the structure. It is necessary to ensure all the requirements are met before the scaffolding is set up.
- Double Scaffolding – Double scaffolding is normally used in construction projects that involve stone masonry. Since it is not easy to make holes in stone walls to support putlogs, another scaffold is set up to provide a stable structure where workers can perform their tasks safely. This type of scaffolding is also known as Independent Scaffolding.
- Steel Scaffolding – These are types of scaffolding made of steel tubes and set using couplers. These types of scaffolding are easy to assemble and disassemble. While they may cost more than the other types of scaffolding, there offer numerous benefits to its users. They are normally used in the construction of buildings with multiple floors.
- Suspended Scaffolding – Suspended scaffolding is normally used for painting work since it can be easily adjusted. The length of these scaffolding is also adjustable. Aside from painting work, these types of scaffolding are also used in repair work. They are made of chains or ropes tied to platforms and are suspended from the roof. Its height is adjusted based on the needs of the construction work.
- Trestle Scaffolding – Trestle scaffolding are supported movable ladders with a tripod design. These scaffolding are normally used for indoor work, which means they are mainly used for painting or repair work. Since these scaffolding are used indoors, their height is limited to five meters.
- Cantilever Scaffolding – Cantilever scaffolding may not be normally used by scaffolding hire companies. They should be checked properly before they are installed. Chains of needles are used to support the ledgers of this scaffolding system. A variation of this system uses needles supported by the floors rather than sticking out of the wall.
Scaffolding work is considered hazardous, which makes it necessary for companies offering scaffolding services to meet the rules and regulations set by local and federal agencies. Due to this, companies offering these services should have employees with suitable skills and licenses to ensure the safety of workers is not compromised during the construction of a building. For more information, Visit Access Scaffolding for more information. For more information, visit Access Scaffolding Today !!